[RP TownTalk] Lessons Learned re: Strays

Stephanie Gorin steph_gorin at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 21 16:33:24 UTC 2007

I want to share what I learned while trying to find a place for the two dogs
I found so the info will hopefully help others in town and elsewhere looking
to help strays.

It is really important to remember that dogs can travel FAR in a short time.
 These dogs were not from Riverdale Park.  They live in North Brentwood but
could have come even further.  Just putting up signs in your own
neighborhood is not enough.

1) The first thing to do is call Prince Georges County Animal Shelter and
file a "Found Dog" report at 301-499-8300.  This is how the owners got
reunited with the two dogs I found.

I DO NOT recommend taking strays there.  They only hold the dogs for a few
days.  They DO have dogs put to sleep.

2) Notify the police and provide a description and your phone number.

3) The Washington Animal Rescue League

While the WARL is a great option, they do not always have room for dogs.  I
tried them for the two strays but they are not taking any more puppies right
now.  So, this was not an option.  Definitely try them though.  Their dogs
are very well cared for.

4) The Prince Georges County SPCA  www.pgspca.org

This is a great organization of volunteers who foster strays until they get
adopted.  For the first 30 days of fostering they are not adopted out to
allow time for the owners to find the dog.  After that they continue to
foster the dog while trying to find a good home for them.  GREAT people.
This was where the strays were heading tonight if the owners had not
surfaced today.

5) Montgomery County Humane Society in Rockville

I have heard mixed reviews.  They claim to have a 93% adoption rate.  I have
also heard they put some dogs down.  My impression is that if the dogs are
friendly and on the young side they will likely get placed.  I don't think
they hold on to dogs for that long though.  But I am not sure.

6) Rescue groups are also a good option but they do not always take mixed
breeds.  Search online and call around.

7) Also, I went to local vets, pet shops, post office, etc. put up notices,
left descriptions and my contact info.  Had them checked for micro chips at
a vet.  Put a notice on Craig's List.  Put a notice on PetFinder and other
pet lost and found websites.  Put a notice on College Park Dog Park's list
serve.

8) Last but not least was this list, which is a great network and a perfect
way to spread the word.