[RP TownTalk] Red Light Cameras

Alan K. Thompson twacks at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 23:15:53 UTC 2007

Dear Candy,

I'm not sure if anyone replied off-list or not, but I'm essentially
certain that there aren't any red light or speed cameras in town.
There were red light cameras many years ago, and most of the people
passing through town learned that they were there and stopped running
the lights.  When they started to be a significant financial drain on
the town (they started out as as revenue source) the contract with the
company running them was terminated.

About a year into the program I asked the Chief of Police whether the
accident rate had dropped at those intersections, and he told me that
it hadn't dropped by a lot, but I didn't have a chance to discuss with
him whether the accidents had been less serious.

There was a lot of work towards reinstituting the red light cameras,
with a contract that would not have as much of a down side to it as
the old contract, a few years ago.  The company proposing it went out
of business before the cameras were installed.

Regards,

Alan