[RP TownTalk] traffic alterations

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 12:54:05 UTC 2007

Marc, I'm sure someone with official knowledge can answer more
authoritatively (let's hear it for Alice Ewen Walker's
make-the-documents-public-and-on-line proposal!!) but my understanding
is that the change was primarily at the request of the Fire Dept.
Their problem is that when westward traffic backs up on Queensbury
when the RxR gates are down, the emergency vehicles can get blocked in
at the fire station.

I attended a traffic safety meeting where this was discussed and our
Fire and Police representives argued forcefully for the change.  My
concern was that a decision about how to facilitate the emergency
response needs should be taken as part of a larger traffic study.  The
not-so-distant future looks to be bringing many changes to the amount
and flow of traffic in our area. Fortunately I think we've got money
in this year's budget for a traffic study.  With EYA and East Campus
both certain, Cafritz very likely, and Dumm's Corner presumably just a
matter of time, it would appear to be time for some creative and
foresightful thinking to be applied to our traffic and safety
situation.