[RP TownTalk] Can RP help solve global warming?

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 05:51:31 UTC 2007

In anticipation of the "Cool Cities" presentation (tonight, Monday Dec
3rd), I've been trying to gather together some relevant info and links
on the Wiki's "Green" page (http://rpwiki.wetpaint.com/page/Green).

Included are the Sierra Club "Cool Cities" link that Rob gave
(http://coolcities.us/), as well as that of another group, ICLEI -
Local Governments for Sustainability (http://www.iclei.org/), along
with a bunch of other green topics and links.

Hyattsville has signed on to the Cool Cities campaign, and College
Park to the ICLEI. Relevant links are listed.

I would invite everyone to please add relevant stuff to the Green page
-- and any other page on the Wiki.  Slowly, we seem to be building up
a useful resource.

Just yesterday I had occasion to use one of these -- we just replaced
an old printer with a new one.  Since we determined the old one was in
too sorry a shape to even give away on Freecycle, we needed to recycle
it.  One of the most popular "hits" on the Wiki is the link for
recycling computers and other electronics via Costco's arrangement
with greensight.com:
http://www.greensight.com/CostcoTrades/Common/equiptypes.aspx?SiteXfrMsg=1

So I followed the link -- It took me all of about 5 minutes to sign up
and have a shipping label printed out and ready to use. All we need to
do is box up the old printer, slap the shipping label on it, and drop
it off at the UPS Store in College Park -- shipping is free.  One less
contraption in the landfill!  (You do have to be a Costco member)

One thing I've been fascinated by watching the "Sitemeter" on the Wiki
is the apparent rarity of one of our green pages: The page entitled
"Ideas on Reducing Waste & Recycling More," which combined some ideas
that Alice had posted here on TownTalk and Jim Groves had posted over
on the Hyattsville HOPE list, along with some additional stuff I'd run
into along the way, gets quite a few hits every single day, from all
over the country. For example, someone from Price, Utah today googled
"whole foods mesh reusable grocery bag" and followed a link to our
Wiki.  I just replicated the search on Google and it came up *2nd* out
of "of about 10,200 for whole foods mesh reusable grocery bag" hits! I
had no idea this page would be as unusual as it seems to be.

Dwight

--
"A budget is a moral document." --Jim Wallis
"Don't tell me what you value, show me your budget, and I'll tell you