[RP TownTalk] Affordable Solar Water Heaters

Regina M. Kreger regina at kreger.net
Mon Dec 3 22:22:29 UTC 2007

Dear friends and neighbors,

I have been researching green options for my home. I talked with
Chesapeake (formerly Wind and) Solar and find that solar hot water is
much more accessible than PV power, but .... still a little steep.  A
little more research, and I'm tempted to go DIY.  Found one company that
designs a system specifically to be easy for the homeowner to install
herself.  A recent Mother Earth News article goes farther with
suggestions for building a system from scratch.  All designs require
sunlight, of course, but in some designs the sunny spot doesn't have to
be right square on your roof.

I thought .....  if maybe a half-dozen or a dozen of us got together,
among us we might have enough savvy, guts, basic carpentry or plumbing
know-how, to help each other put in solar water heaters at each of our
homes. If several of us decided to go with the pre-built
install-your-own system, we could maybe bargain for a lower group price.
In the process, we might even learn enough to call it a marketable
skill. We'll have experienced installations on a variety of houses of
different styles and ages, each with unique issues.

Whaddaya say, folks?  Anyone interested?

Regina