[RP TownTalk] Affordable Solar Water Heaters

Jonah Blaustein jonah at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 5 14:21:07 UTC 2007

About solar hot water, I don't have numbers off the top of my head but
here are a few points that add to the picture.

'Payoff period' is what everyone looks at for alternative energy and it
shows how a large sum of money up front can be considered a sound
investment over time. Solar systems may have a long payback period but
what is the payback period of a conventional water heater? Figure that
gas and electricity prices will go up over the next 10 to 20 years, and
that conventional water heaters don't last as long as most of the solar
systems I've heard about. Even if energy prices stay the same and your
conventional heater lasts for 25 years, you still won't 'break even' on
total cost over the life of a conventional system. So if it takes the
rest of your life to recover your costs of a solar system, that's still
better. The on demand water heaters that Bruce mentioned are worth
looking into, either as replacement or a back-up to solar.

Environmental costs have unfortunately never been factored into
economic costs. The result is a poorer environment that costs taxpayers
a lot to clean up. Studies show that alternative energy projects create
more jobs than conventional projects, so it acts as a stimulus for the
economy. Solar will need a lot of government subsidies to get the price
down and the fossil fuel industry doesn't want to let go of the huge
subsidies they already receive. Of course the big oil, gas and coal
lobbyists in Congress don't want anyone to think this way.

Apologies to any lobbyists who may be on this list.

Jonah

On Wednesday, December 5, 2007, at 07:23  AM,
bruce.wernek at mindspring.com wrote:

> Forget the solar hot water heaters, get an on demand hot water heater
> if you want to save money.  They are a little more expensive than a
> conventional heater, but they save energy and it won't take the rest
> of your life to recover their costs.
>
> Bruce

<image.tiff>

<image.tiff>

> Regina,
> Not to sound dumber than dirt, which may be true, but you used some
> abbreviations that I'm not familiar with.
>
> What is "PV power"?
>
> What is DIY?
>
> When you say 'a little steep' what ballpark range are you talking
> about?
>
> What are estimated investment recovery times? Value of investment in
> terms of resale value?
>
> Lou
>
> Regina M. Kreger wrote:
>
> Dear friends and neighbors,
>
> accessible than PV power, but .... still a little steep.  A little
> more research, and I'm tempted to go DIY.

<image.tiff>

<image.tiff>

<image.tiff>

> Dear neighbors and friends/Regina.
>
> Hello, happy Tuesday.  I would be eager and happy to discuss solar H20
> heaters as I want to add this to the R&R since ours must be at least
> 25 years old.  I will look forward to futher conversation on this.
>
> My family in Ohio has two Wiems; I understand their engergy level.
> Best of luck.
>
> Marita
> Marita A. Novicky

<image.tiff>

<image.tiff>

<image.tiff>

> Perhaps at this point Ms. Felix-Thompson could ask those on the lists
> who appreciate such updates to email her separately and Yoga Space
> could have their own announcement list.
>
> It's a fine line.  I think community events should be promoted, but it
> is hard to swallow when it comes from a list member whose sole
> contributions are announcements.
>
> -Maureen
>
> On Dec 4, 2007 8:10 AM, Leslie Plant <leslieplant at verizon.net> wrote:
>

> I really appreciate hearing about the good happenings at Yoga Space
> (thanks
> Gloria!).  The businesses in our collective neighborhoods are offering
> a fun
> and interesting variety of events, giving us the opportunity to stay
> here in
> or near our home town, spending our money here instead of risking life
> and
> limb on the highway to spend it in Montgomery County.  YAY!
>

> I hope all you local business people on the neighborhood listserves
> will
> make announcements on the list to continue to let us know what's going
> on
> close to home.
>

> Thanks
>
> Leslie on Somerset

<image.tiff>

<image.tiff>

<image.tiff>

> Lou is correct of course.  But, at well over 12,000 animals taken in,
> most of them going out in black garbage bags, and an estimated 27,000
> animal control calls a year, you'll need to weigh the life of your
> companion versus the possibility that they actually enforce the
> adoption contract.
>
> Brought to you as a stark reminder and public service.
>

> Adrianne
> (wearing Maryland Dog Federation president's hat)
>

> Message: 6
> Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 01:06:46 -0500
> From: Lou King <lking at knob.com>
> Subject: Re: [RP TownTalk] Rehoming a Weimaramer
> To: towntalk at riverdale-park.org
>
> I suggest you read the "Adoption Contract" you signed with P.G County
> Animal Management Division when you accepted your dog.
>
> On mine right under 'I will feed and get shots' is "I will not sell,
> give away or abandon the animal.  If I decide to no longer keep this
> animal, I will return the animal to the Prince George's County Animal
> Management Division."
>
> Just a reminder
>
> Lou King
> >
> >     Subject: [RP TownTalk] Looking for a good home for Shadow...
> >     To: TownTalk at riverdale-park.org
> >
> >     We have a beautiful grey, female Weimaraner dog named Shadow that
> >     we adopted from the P.G. County Pound a little over 2 years ago,
> >     which makes her about 2 ? years old .

<image.tiff>

> More new features than ever. Check out the new AOL Mail!

<image.tiff>

<image.tiff>

<image.tiff>

> I also appreciate knowing what is going on locally.
> thanks
> catarina
>

> On 12/4/07, Leslie Plant <leslieplant at verizon.net> wrote:
>
> I really appreciate hearing about the good happenings at Yoga Space
> (thanks Gloria!).  The businesses in our collective neighborhoods are
> offering a fun and interesting variety of events, giving us the
> opportunity to stay here in or near our home town, spending our money
> here instead of risking life and limb on the highway to spend it in
> Montgomery County.  YAY!
>

> I hope all you local business people on the neighborhood listserves
> will make announcements on the list to continue to let us know what's
> going on close to home.
>

> Thanks
>
> Leslie onSomerset

<image.tiff>