[RP TownTalk] TownTalk Digest, Vol 17, Issue 5

Brian Boettger brian_boettger at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 6 16:01:00 UTC 2007

www.nrel.gov/pv/thin_film/docs/lce2006.pdf  A little internet research turned up this paper published last year studying life-cycle and Environmental impacts of PV production and usage. It's a little technical, but the conclusion is that PV is definitely better than Fossil Fuels (Coal) but not as good as Nuclear or Wind over a 30 year lifetime. Essentially, PV is 3333% better than Coal, 1333% better than gas, equal to biomas and 300 to 400 % worse than either nuclear or wind. For me the major PV drawback is cost. $10-$12 per watt.  I haven't found specific information for Maryland, but I do know in other states the state will provide incentives ($) to install residential PV systems, however they must be installed by eligable, qualified installers. State and Federal tax credits may be included.  Also, congress is reviewing and voting (hopefully in the next few hours) to extend those federal tax credits for energy efficiency. They are set to expire this year.