[RP TownTalk] Traffic concerns, trains, etc

Sue Collins wheadle at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 1 14:14:28 UTC 2007

I'm glad to hear so much input on the traffic at
Queensbury and Lafayette, apparently other people,
both pedestrians and motorists, have problems in that
area, too.  I got off a Metro bus at S&J yesterday
afternoon, it wasn't even fully into the rush hour
(around 4:30), and I had to wait several minutes
before I could cross Queensbury; Even though there's a
clearly marked crosswalk and a stop sign, people just
keep barreling through!  I agree with posters who have
shown concern about emergency vehicles having trouble
getting through traffic in this area; if the
fire/ambulance crews can't get through, that could
compound problems in an emergency situation.  And,
just curious, has anyone else seen this...?  I've seen
traffic heading west on Queensbury (towards Route 1),
the traffic has been backed up all the way to
Lafayette, and cars will sit in the line of traffic ON
the train tracks!  Common sense would dictate that if
you're in traffic that you sit on the east side of the
track until there's enough room for you to move
completely across.  But honestly, I've seen several
cars sitting in traffic on the tracks; is that an
accident waiting to happen, or what?  I don't know
what good posting a sign "do not park on tracks" would
do, as there's a sign on Route 1 at Queensbury asking
that people not block the intersection and they do it
anyway...  Don't know if I'll be able to make the 2/15
meeting myself, but hopefully some of the traffic
problems here in town can be addressed, if not solved.
 Those of us who've lived here for several years (and
I'm sure many others) want to keep the town safe for
everyone, both motorists and pedestrians.