[RP TownTalk] Immoderate Moderation

Lou King lking at knob.com
Thu Feb 22 17:13:32 UTC 2007

"Discussions" in most un-moderated news groups/usenets I have used seem
to boil down to the loudest, most obnoxious, with  the most perseverance
wins the day. Well maybe not wins, but causes everyone else to stop
commenting which functionally ends any real discussion.

As some people figured out in the '60s, it takes more than one speaker
_and_ more than one  _listener_ to have a discussion. (I know, someone
probably figured it out before then, but I was to young to care.) Just
because people stop commenting on this forum doesn't mean they have been
convinced. When it gets "a little bumpy" and others stop commenting it
most likely means they have stopped listening. If they are not
listening, they will not "hear" any valid points made by the less
moderate. AND the group as a whole will have lost the perspective of
their viewpoint. Put my vote in the civil, moderated column.

Now if someone will help this old goat get down off his soap box...