[RP TownTalk] After new condos are built- what about traffic?

Lou King lking at knob.com
Wed Jan 31 18:38:51 UTC 2007

bruce.wernek at mindspring.com wrote:
> The inference from this discussion is that the Dumm's development project (Pete's) is very close to approval.  Is this the case?

 From what I head Monday night, yes, the project seems close to
approval. All the strong objections to the Patriot Group's proposal
seems to have placated.
> Can anyone articulate the differences between Pete's proposal and the earlier proposal from the Patriot Group?
>
> Bruce

 From a traffic point of view, IMHO, little or no difference.  It seems
to be a trade off between 1) Higher density and parking garage access
south of Riverdale Ave on Lafayette and 2) Less density and parking
garage access on Lafayette and Queensbury Rd.

I have not heard any discussion of solutions for the added traffic
problems created by this development (or the existing problems for that
matter.)  On the other hand developers for Rt 1 & 410 have (had to)
addressed traffic on both Rt 1 and 410.  The Patriot Group seemed seemed
to wave their hand at the problem hoping everyone would ride the train/bus.

(Heavy editorial)
The only acknowledgments I have seen of the existing rush hour traffic
are 1) blocking the street in front of the the firehouse so their are
not in gridlock and 2) the spiteful closing of West Beal Cr. to block
north bound Rt 1 to east 410 traffic. This was after the county (state)
rebuilt the West Beal/410 intersection. (FYI traffic now use East Beal
Cr or continue down Queensbury to the school.)  Maybe the problem is to
big for local (city) government to solve.

MUTC and the town council both seem to have less objections to this
proposal, and I agree it is better. But the only acknowledgment of the
traffic issue I have heard is to count parking spaces (again). Unless
those parking spaces and cars are going to be like inland riverboat
gambling, someone needs to think about the impact on Queensbury,
Riverdale, Lafayette and Ravenswood.  But being cynical, no one in
office now (except Kiernan and Donaldson) will be in office in two years
when the streets around Dumm's corner will be useless for transportation.
(end of rant)
Lou