[RP TownTalk] Wachovia project approved by Planning Board

Roland Walker walker at pobox.com
Thu Jun 14 19:10:06 UTC 2007

This morning the Planning Board approved the Wachovia project at E/W
Hwy and Rt 1.  The approval was subject to the project being changed
to meet every condition in the Park and Planning staff report.

These changes come down to the requirement that the project have no
more than three drive-through lanes.  The Planning Board was very
specific in requiring that the canopy structure cover no more than
three lanes.

John Tabori, Mayor of University Park, was in attendance and
reiterated University Park's opposition to the project, seeking
additional traffic study prior to approval.

I also spoke in opposition, and read a letter opposing the project
authored by Sarah Wayland and joined by twelve other residents of
Riverdale Park.

The town of Riverdale Park was represented by our code enforcement
officer, who read the recent resolution of the town council.

There are still a few hoops to jump through.  For instance, The
developer's client (Wachovia) presumably still has to agree to the
three drive-through limit.  There may be some minor issues outstanding
with regard to covenants.  The developer has to satisfy his deal with
the church currently operating on the property.

So there are some ways that the deal could fall apart, which, while
very unlikely, are not entirely implausible given Caputo's amateurish
record over the last six years.

But the approval process is done.

The Planing Board gained a great deal more concessions from the
developer than the town did.  I think their secret was that they
actually asked for the concessions!  They also were clear that "no"
was an option.  In the end, the developer met their requests.