[RP TownTalk] Fwd: [HOPE_in_Hyattsville] Cafritz Property

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 19:32:21 UTC 2007

Jim, I don't have a degree in urban planning or anything related to it
-- just a schoolteacher by training, what do I know? ;-) -- but it
would seem to me that the critical mass factor outweighs the
between-town-competition factor. what do i mean by that? i used to
live in hyattsville, moved in there about a year before Franklin's
opened its restaurant...  the word was that the banks didn't want to
touch their loan proposal because of the area.  presumably, this was
not due solely to redlining based on income or education levels, but
to the fact that there weren't any lively businesses in the area. they
didn't see people coming there to shop or eat, therefore they assumed
no one would come there to shop or eat.  (Someday there should be a
monument to Mike and Debbie Franklin -- maybe somewhere along a
reconfigured, pedestrian-friendly Route 1.  "Build it and they will
come."  Kevin Costner could help dedicate it.)

Seems to me that the more good retail we have, the more will come.
With Franklin's established, EYA opening up, and and the development
at University Town Center, now suddenly others too will come.
Whatever goes in on the Cafritz property, assuming its good attractive
retail and or restaurants and not more nail parlors and hair salons,
will add to this critical mass and, along with what's happening at
EYA, help fill in the continuing development along Route 1 and, sooner
or later, our own Town Center.

I would think too that a smart, attractive (relatively expensive) high
density residential component at Cafritz or wherever would be a plus,
not a minus in this regard.  The more "urban" in nature these new
developments, the more necessarily pedestrian-oriented they will be,
and that, along with the fact of increased population, will, I would
think, make our community that much more attractive to investors and
entrepreneurs.

my $.02.

--
Riverdale Park Coffee House (blog only-BYOC)
http://rpcoffeehouse.blogspot.com/