[RP TownTalk] Wachovia Project

Heather Blanchard heather.blanchard at mac.com
Thu Jun 14 07:33:08 UTC 2007

The Wachovia site, while great to get on the tax rolls, is not the
appropriate development for that corner. Nor  is it remotely related to
how Riverdale wants to develop according to the MUTC plan. Creating pad
site development like you see with the McDonalds, and the other banks
is not the development that is appropriate for the dense space that is
there. There is a concept called liveable/walkable communities, similar
to EYA's plans where they create a walkabout community development.
Creating "one - off" development will create Riverdale into a big strip
mall and will not be community oriented, which is the basis of having a
MUTC plan in the first place.

That corner, you could say, is one of the most valuable and most
importantly, visible pieces of RP land. Thousands of people drive by it
a day. If you believe for the next 20 years a bank would be best at the
corner and that best represents this town, then there you have it.

However, it is my opinion, as a historic district, that property should
be returned back to its original state (or close to it). See below.
This should be the basis of redevelopment on that corner, not turning
that place into a car-focused isolated property. Rather is should be in
line with the character of the properties around it and be focused on
it building as part of a walkable community.

Hyattsville had many developers wanting the Lustine property, they did
not select the first concept that was given to them. I am dismayed at
the lack of commitment to making sure that this property is developed
in the right direction, not in a direction that is "Good for Now."

Thursday is the last chance for citizens to tell PG County - NO - on
this development. I would love to see alot of you there to voice your
concerns that Riverdale Park should be a walkable community, not filled
with drive-thrus.