[RP TownTalk] turf field

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 14:01:52 UTC 2007

This thread is bringing up lots of issues in my mind -- things I've
not thought much about and have little knowledge of as well...
thinking about it raises all sorts of questions in my mind, such as:

Q: the Park is maintained through our tax dollars (i'd figured that
the Parks & Planning levy represented about 14% of our property tax
bill last year).  the parks are presumably "county" parks rather than
municipal ones.  when the park lies within town boundaries, as
Anacostia Park does, does the town have any direct say in these
matters beyond the collective voice of its individual citizens? what
is the process for making these decisions?

Q: does it strike anyone else as odd that a private-religious school
(Dematha) should get regular use of a publicly-funded facility like
Anacostia Park?  Do they contribute something towards the maintenance
and upkeep (I presume they pay no taxes as a religious institution?)

Q: why is use of Field of Dreams restricted to those with permits
only? is this a legal, CYA thing?

++
anecdotally speaking, we are frequent users of the Northeast Branch
Trail which takes us through Anacostia Park regularly. weekends bring
throngs of picnickers there -- there's some industrial-sized
barbequeing going on there, i can assure you!  and it seems like most
of the fields get regular use as well.  i've frequently commented that
it's a pleasure to see our public parks get used.  (Field of Dreams,
on the other hand, seems to get relatively little use. I do see some
organized activities in after school hours from time to time).

Dwight

--
Riverdale Park Coffee House (blog only-BYOC)
http://rpcoffeehouse.blogspot.com/