[RP TownTalk] Eating locally film and discussion

Michele Leonardi mpleonardi at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 01:46:18 UTC 2007

*Eating Locally: Film & Discussion with*

*Renee Brooks Catacalos & Special Guest PBS Host John Shields*

* *

Renee Brooks Catacalos, publisher and editor of Edible Chesapeake, and her
special guest John Shields, restaurateur, cookbook author & PBS cooking show
star, will present a film and discussion of innovative approaches that keep
farms in our own area afloat on Thursday, June 28 at 7 pm at the Laurel
Branch Library, 507 7th Street, in Laurel, MD.

Does buying from local farmers really save family farms? *Eat At Bill's* is
a non-fictional look at the history and "backstage" stories behind
California's Monterey Market and its second-generation owner Bill Fujimoto.
This engaging film goes right to the heart of how individual buying
decisions make a difference in local food communities.

Catacalos describes her own discovery of eating locally: "A couple of
summers ago, my whole family discovered together how fabulous eating fresh
could really be. On a lark, I challenged us to eat food exclusively from
within a 150-mile radius of our suburban Washington DC home for a month, and
that 'experiment' turned into a new paradigm of eating for us. I didn't
realize it at the time, but the idea of eating locally was taking root in
all of us. And for me, it was blossoming into a true passion."

"Chesapeake Chef" John Shields, host of several PBS series and a regular
contributor to Edible Chesapeake, will discuss his experiences shopping at
the Monterey Market during his years living and cooking in California.

After the 1-hour film, John and Renee will talk and answer questions about
innovative approaches in our own local food community. Everyone's invited to
this fun and informative evening. For more information, please call the
Laurel Branch at 301-776-6790.
--

Bridget Warren

Chief of Public Relations & Programming

Prince George's County Memorial Library System

6532 Adelphi Rd.

Hyattsville MD 20782

301-699-3500 x237

301-927-0887 fax