[RP TownTalk] An Electioneering Policy for TownTalk

Marc Molino mmolino54 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 5 13:36:52 UTC 2007

I tend to agree with Roland that this seems overly complicated.

Why not simply mandate that anyone running for election must preface their
posts (all of them) with a disclaimer as soon as their candidacy is
announced? It might look something like this at the top of every message:
[DISCLAIMER: SENT BY WARD 1 CANDIDATE IN UPCOMING ELECTION]

Those who don't post the disclaimer will be moderated or banned from the
list until after the election. Give'em one warning if they mess up.

As for negative attack ads and the like, these already seem barred by the
regular posting standards for the list. And anyone who follows this list is
going to know that bombarding the list with sheer propaganda is going to
either hurt their chances or simply be ignored. The subscriber count is
something like 121 for this list, if I recall correctly, and that's separate
addresses, not necessarily unique individuals, so we're not talking about a
huge chance to sway mass public opinion.

Personally, I'd like to hear as much from the candidates as possible and see
some open debate/discussion that is not limited by time or place.

Hope everyone had a good weekend,
Marc Molino

PS--[personal disclaimer of my own: Somehow I received written credit two
Town Crier's ago for helping with the Holiday Festival. As I did nothing to
assist with the event, credit was certainly not due. I hope all those who
did work on the event were mentioned--they did a great job!)