[RP TownTalk] Candidate Forums

Rob Oppenheim oppenheim at email.com
Sun Mar 25 05:16:39 UTC 2007

When I was the Town Crier editor in April 2005, I produced the first ever Candidate
Forum for the Town Crier. It allowed each candidate to put forward their views in a
limited and fair way. The forum was widely praised as informative and helpful.

However, a council member expressed deep concern that such a forum should
be authorized by the council.

Our town code says "It shall be unlawful ... to use any town property or facility in
connection with any election except as authorized by the Mayor and Council."

Does this apply to the Town Crier - or to TownTalk?
That is, are they a "property or facility?"
Perhaps not by the letter of the law, but the spirit of the law would have the
council authorize them for use in elections.

So last month I introduced motions to establish a Town Crier Candidate Forum
and an Email List Election Policy.

The Town Crier Candidate Forum will likely be discussed at the work session
this Monday, March 26 and will come up for a vote on April 2. (Both meetings
start at 8 pm in Town Hall).

I wrote into the Crier legislation a detailed set of rules to ensure that the forum
would be open and fair to all qualified candidates and so that everyone would know
the rules in advance and thus avoid last minute confusion, surprises or manipulation.

The proposed legislation will be printed in this month's Crier and in case you
are having trouble falling asleep it is attached for your reading pleasure.

Sadly, the Email List Policy was rejected by the council in the March meeting
(although I suspect that the topic will come up again for further debate Monday).

As always, your comments and suggestions are welcomed.

Rob Oppenheim
Ward One Councilman, Riverdale Park
Home Office: 301 779 1745