[RP TownTalk] Election Results

Lou King lking at knob.com
Fri May 11 14:16:52 UTC 2007

Another result of the election that the "Post" article pointed out was
the lack of candidates. The lack of voters didn't merit a comment even
though they reported Ward 6 as 19-to-9 victory for Allen-Smith (can we
call that a 2:1 landslide?).

One of the things I saw in the election was: In Riverdale, 6,600
residents, there are only 2,447 registered voters on the book and only
503 of those took time to vote. 1/3 are registered, and 1/5 of those
voted. This is a record?

Even looking at it by ward doesn't make the picture any better.  Take
Ward 1. ~1,100 residents, 709 registered, 208 voters. Less than 20% of
the residents voted in a contested race. Less than a third of the
registered voters participated.

On the other hand there are 8 people in Ward 5 that should get some kind
of an award! No ward candidate, an uncontested mayoral election and they
show up!

Lou