[RP TownTalk] taxes

ABragg7393 at aol.com ABragg7393 at aol.com
Wed May 16 19:00:50 UTC 2007

With all the talk about raising taxes, it occurred to me that this happens
all the time when we talk the budget.  Seems like our elected officials always
want to raise taxes and It doesn't matter who those elected officials are.
(Whoever is in office at the time of the budget meetings)  The question is always
"If you don't want to raise taxes, what services do you want to cut?"  For
over 30 years I have heard that same question and I always have the same answer.
 "I want my services and I don't want a raise in taxes."  It always comes
down to the residents having to cough up more money, or small businesses taking
the brunt of it.  I have a novel idea!  What about all those buildings in Town
Center - vacant.  What about those buildings on Kenilworth Ave. - vacant.  How
about the Old Suntrust bank building - semi vacant.  What if they were rented
out to businesses and brought revenue to the town.  Why don't we go there.
Why don't we find a way to address this lack of revenue?  It doesn't always
have to be on the backs of the residents.

Audrey