[RP TownTalk] TownTalk Digest, Vol 10, Issue 33

Brian Boettger brian_boettger at hotmail.com
Wed May 16 19:49:27 UTC 2007

I'd be interested in a town "Neighborhood Watch".
It's a nice idea to want to increase revenue by getting business' into the
empty buildings, however, what can the town do to facilitate that? From what
I understand is that the town will be at the mercy of the property owners.
If they want them to sit vacant, or want to charge astronomical rents, what
can the town do other than make it easy for business and developers to
produce property that is of value.
The reality is that services cost money. You want a service, it is only
reasonable that you pay for it. Also, from what I understand is that our
property taxes are pretty reasonable for our location and the quality of the
neighborhood. Remember our amenities. We're inside the beltway, and walking
distance to 2 Metro stops and a MARC train stop. With the addition of the
many projects developing in the area, your property values will only rise
(increasing your tax payment) along with fuel costs, salaries, supplies,
etc. I think it is unrealistic to think that our tax rates will not be
effected.
Brian