[RP TownTalk] Taxes, Business, Etc...

ABragg7393 at aol.com ABragg7393 at aol.com
Thu May 17 15:01:11 UTC 2007

In a message dated 5/17/2007 10:39:01 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
brian_boettger at hotmail.com writes:

> Comparing our taxes to someplace like Brookland or
> anyplace in DC is an unfair comparison. You'll need to look at the business
> areas and compare. I don't think Riverdale Park will be seeing a Starbuck's,
>
> Borders Books, Barnes &Noble, Subway, etc. on every corner much like most
> any place in DC or Northern Virginia.

Have you ever been to Brookland?  I think I am comparing apples to apples.
There are no Starbucks, Borders, Subway, etc.  There are small individual
businesses.  Col. Brooks Tavern, locally owned. The Coffee Shop, The Ice Cream
Parlor, The Antique Shop, The Hardware Store - all locally owned.  No big chains
there.  Oh, one I forgot about - there is a CVS.  So I think the area called
Brookland is very similar to Riverdale Park.  They have Catholic U.  we have
Maryland U.  They have Brookland Metro - we have Hyattsville and College Park.
They have Brooks Mansion - we Have Calvert/Riversdale.  How much closer can I
get to a comparison?
Audrey