[RP TownTalk] TownTalk Digest, Vol 10, Issue 39

Dannielle Glaros dmglaros at gmail.com
Fri May 18 00:54:47 UTC 2007

I'm not sure where things stand, but the town hired an economic
development consultant to assist us with Town Center.  She was
suppose to be pulling together data so that we can attract specific
businesses.  Perhaps, we will hear an update from the town soon?

I have no doubt a coffee shop would do well, especially if open in
the morning.  For some reason,  I seem to run into a lot of DeMatha
parents who know our town because they drive-thru town center on the
way to school in the morning.  Seems like a good crowd to capture in
addition to the rest of us who would like coffee anytime during the day.

Riverdale Park has a lot of business potential.  The success of the
farmers' market is testament to the possibility.  There is interest
in new development, which is a great sign, but the town could be
doing more to support new businesses and market the town.  I know
town staffing is part of the problem, but if a dedicated group of
volunteers banded together, I'm sure things could happen.  Perhaps,
regular meetings of the town's economic development committee would
be helpful?

--One of the items the town could consider is giving a tax reduction
for a certain number of years to the first 2-3 retail businesses to
open in town center if they stay for x years.  The town may need to
add some more qualifiers to this suggestion, but it has been used
successfully elsewhere.  For new businesses, starting up this can
really make the difference.
--Another is a residential facade program.  Sprucing up the look of
the town residences is key to attracting new development and some
people just don't have the resources, but would love to fix up their
residences.
--Making a list of specific businesses and recruiting them.  Great
businesses often times don't think of expanding until someone comes
and recruits them.  I really believe our area is hot--whole foods is
interested in us, east campus will bring a lot of new high-end
retail, and EYA is moving along.  We just need the supporting
evidence to make the pitch.
--Improving the look of our key corridors.  Hate to admit it, but a
lot of people judge "a book by the cover."  Kenilworth Ave, 410, Rt 1
are not pretty to look at--working/creating incentives for rehab of
commercial properties, sidewalk improvements, even just cutting the
grass, banners on light posts, and beautiful gardens in median strips
can make a difference.  Some places offer matching grants for
businesses to improve their signage or do facade improvements.

Personally, I would be willing to spend my tax dollars on some of
these items even defer some commercial tax income to jump start
redevelopment and create the right atmosphere for development to
occur.  I think this would be a worthwhile investment.  On a side
note, I also think enhanced code enforcement, a police department,
and a quality public works department are worth investing in.
Without these three, I know our town would look a lot worse and crime
would be a lot worse than it is.

Dannielle
4800 Sheridan St

Dannielle Glaros