[RP TownTalk] Road Beautification

Susan Lewis medicinewoman56 at comcast.net
Sun May 20 16:30:15 UTC 2007

I recall vaguely a Federal Program for Road Beautification.  Lady Bird
Johnson (?) had something to do with it.  Federal money has been spent on
tulips and wildflowers along Virginia roadways and PA has some gorgeous
purple spreading flowers along every major thruway in the state.  There must
be a way to tap that resource.  Something perennial to keep maintenance and
replanting costs down.  That would save money on banners, as well.  Everyone
has banners and we already have the blue historic signs.  I would love to
hear someone say:" Riverdale?  That's over there where those gorgeous
flowers/trees are growing in the median."  Perhaps we could do something
with our own tree program that would provide some shade to people sitting
through 5 changes of the light to get up and down East-West Highway. As an
added benefit, greenspace is one of the key elements in the halt of global
warming.  We could be contributing in so many ways by smart planting of that
strip. Just my thoughts. :-) Sue

Message: 2