[RP TownTalk] The Town's Finances

Lou King lking at knob.com
Thu May 31 19:53:22 UTC 2007

This has been the longest thread on any one topic that I can remember.
My memory is mercifully short but if I may be so bold as to summarize
some Town Talk entries from my lofty position at 9,318 ft where I am
taking "the cure."

Over the past 6 months or so there have been discussions on Town Talk about:
a. trash around town
b. bottles, drug stuff, condoms under the bridge etc.
c. "drug" activity
d. snow on "my" street/snow on "their" walk
e. blocked storm drains
f. car break-in
g. house break-ins
h. strange activity (at field of dreams, down the street, in apartment
building)
h. pot holes
i. door-to-door sales
j. why aren't the Xmas lights up, why are the Xmas lights up, why aren't
the Xmas lights down
k. tall grass/noise and other code enforcement issues
l. town development (which take time and effort from elected officials
and paid staff)

All of these are basically town services. I think I said at the time of
some of these threads, 'Where will you people that want MORE services be
when it is tax and budget time?'  (Isn't memory nice? I can remember ME
saying the right thing - true or not.)

But in the here and now I hear no voices asking for more. In fact the
Mayor's earlier post would indicate that there are no increases in the
areas addressed above (except pot holes). Archer, 24 May 07, Re: [RP
TownTalk] Budget for next year:

"2. There is nothing I would classify as a significant new program in
any area of government.  The Police force, much to my disappointment, is
being proposed to stay at the same staffing level as last year.  The
Public Works department remains basically the same too.  No major new
capital programs, either."

No one appointed me Philosopher King, but the healthy discussion here is
only one part of a representative form of government. There is also
direct participation and letting you representative(s) know what you
think/want. (I must need an other treatment.)

Gerald noted that the at the 5/24/07 Finance Committee meeting the
elected government and paid staff were all alone, no public. Yes, we all
have our excuses, (I'm 2,000 miles away). I find it hard to believe that
everyone in town that has an issue with a-through-l above is busy. We
are, of course, letting our ward council persons know (directly) what
"we" what our government to provide. (Right?)

Rob, Ms Walker please note - I do not understand the lack of correlation
between a-l and "2. 'services staying the same'."

Here comes the guy in a white jacket to give me an other treatment. In
the foreground are a covey of humming birds (2-3/minute) fighting over
my feeder and across the valley (5 min walk) the root of a mountain
going to 12,000 snow covered feet. Man, taking the cure is tough.

Lou King
Queensbury Rd