[RP TownTalk] code and vendors discussion

Roland Walker walker at pobox.com
Fri Nov 2 17:47:29 UTC 2007

Lou argues that prevention of small crimes versus big crimes is a
zero-sum game in a world of limited resources.  The Broken Windows
Theory argues the opposite.  It argues that permitting small crimes
and signs of decay invites further, more serious crime, and
furthermore that addressing petty crime is easier than dealing with
more serious crime.  I subscribe to this theory.  Here is more context

   http://www.pbs.org/fmc/timeline/pwilson.htm
   http://www.manhattan-institute.org/html/critical_acclaim-fixing_broken.htm

> So once again, what do we want to actually do about it?

This discussion was about rose vendors and yard sales.  What I propose
to do about rose vendors and permanent yard sales is to shut them
down.  They are already illegal.  The rose vendors in particular are a
safety hazard to drivers.

No one person is "at fault".  The town, collectively, is too passive.

I would like to be just a little bit more like Hyattsville.  That
involves being more proactive on many fronts.

I make no apologies for aspiring to a better Riverdale Park.