[RP TownTalk] how do you feel about raytheon?

cranky old coot lking at knob.com
Mon Oct 8 04:09:46 UTC 2007

-Marc,
That is a good question. As a retired serviceman and fully vested
ex-"beltway bandit" I would suggest the following criteria in addition
to what everyone thinks:
1. Stability. I think I'm right 4 out of 5 new businesses fail. On the
other hand, "...spanning more than 80 years, Raytheon..."
2. Flexibility. It would be nice to have an employer that can weather
changes in the economy. "5th biggest defense contractor (Raytheon)..."
3. Good employer. In the years I watched Raytheon (as a competitor when
I was with RCA/GE and as a gov. contractor) I meet several Raytheon
employees and heard lots of stories, formal and casual. I do not
remember any issues that would indicate that they are not a good employer.
4.  Good neighbor. If you go back far enough I am sure there may be a
environmental story somewhere. But they like all large companies have
evolved as public sensitivities has also changed.

Besides they are NOT a laundromat, Check Cashing business, or what ever,
(I can't remember the others).

On the other hand, are they going to have a higher employee density than
Riggs (read more cars cutting through town)?
or
On the other hand, are they going to have a higher employee density than
Riggs (read more people/families holding up the local housing market)?

If the general feeling is that people don't want the "5th biggest
defense contractor" in town, what would you suggest be done? Picket? Go
to court and have the contract vacated? Bitch, bitch, bitch?

Sorry, I though the cranky old coot was asleep.

Lou