[RP TownTalk] how do you feel about raytheon?

Yorkedial at aol.com Yorkedial at aol.com
Mon Oct 8 14:56:50 UTC 2007

Would you ask the same question if General Electric, also a defense
contractor, wanted space in Riverdale Park?

If your question is that Raytheon is part of the great American  industrial
military complex -- bingo -- you are right. But it's American -- our  side,
remember us? And we still need to protect ourselves, particularly  after carrying
out some less-than-thoughtful measures throughout the  world.

Marc, the answer is YES, we do want Raytheon to be a part of our  community.
It pays taxes and it does for us what America wants it to do.

And, while we can all joke that Raytheon is "the people who brought  you
Vietnam," and that it built the Patriot Missile, it is also  responsible for great
advances in American culture and society. For instance,  Raytheon is the
creator and manufacture of the first computerized news  system installed and used
in The Washington Post  (1979), switching the last major newspaper in America
to cold type from hot  metal. Raytheon also owns and operates a slew of
technology manufacturing  companies including Bell Helicopter and Bell Helmet
(protective head gear for  your children's heads), and much of the equipment used in
hospitals  today.

So, it's not all death and destruction, there's a whole lot of life and
resurrection going on in this company, too.

My question is why only 90% of the space, why not 100% of the Riggs space  or
even MORE space elsewhere in the town?

Jeffrey Yorke

In a message dated 10/7/2007 10:27:36 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,