[RP TownTalk] painting vinyl siding

Alan Thompson and Sarah Wayland twacks at his.com
Wed Oct 17 13:02:02 UTC 2007

So we want to paint our vinyl siding, which is looking a bit worn
after all these years (at least 15).

We've done a little research which has indicated that we shouldn't
paint it any color that is darker than its current color (which is
white). This is because vinyl is manufactured to withstand heat
stress tailored to how much heat the vinyl will absorb (which depends
on its color.) If you paint it darker, it absorbs more heat, and may
well warp.  But our painter says that painting it a darker color
shouldn't be a problem.

Has anyone had experience painting vinyl siding, and if so, do you
have any recommendations for us?

-Sarah