[RP TownTalk] Vacant Bldgs

Roland Walker walker at pobox.com
Mon Sep 10 17:07:23 UTC 2007

[Lou King writes]
> We (the town) are
> holding our ground with the developers on the Rt 1/410 corner.  Holding
> out for multi-story, multi-use, pedestrian friendly development. And I
> think we are getting what we want.

We hardly held our ground on that corner, nor are we getting what our
community-developed zoning called for.  The bank project which was
approved actually reduces the total amount of commercial space.
That's the plain opposite of economic development.

The MUTC committee did well in their review, which the previous
council ignored wholly.

The only concessions made by the developer were initiated by others:
the State Highway Administration and the PG County planning board.

We held out for exactly nothing, and the resulting development will be
mostly asphalt.

If any development ever happens.  I don't see a lot of activity over
there.  And the town sought and received no guarantees of timely
development -- not even a sign, something Caputo promised in public
and on tape almost two years ago:

   http://riverdale-park.org/pipermail/towntalk/2005-October/000071.html