[RP TownTalk] Town Center Businesses

OurDollMom at aol.com OurDollMom at aol.com
Tue Sep 11 12:39:41 UTC 2007

Since I have been in the Gordon Wells Bldg,
I saw a woman professional dancer with established
base of customers & dance store wanting to buy
the bldg (she grew up here).  Jemel wanted too
much for the condition - SBA would not fund her.
She left in tears. This was her dream here.

The Thrift Shop from Rt 1 did fine for many
years moved to Town Center and she never
could get her business volume back up. She
sold it to her friend who could not get it up &
running again either. But it was successful
on Rt 1. She said women/students did not
like coming to empty bldg. - scary. She also
asked why didn't we have murals in the
empty windows & hold lots of functions in
the Town Center.  Plant flowers, hanging
baskets.  Make it look inviting & safe.

A dollar store came and went. No foot traffic.

A beauty shop left for better location. She
told me ladies are afraid -the empty bldgs looked
bad.  Why didn't we mural the windows. Have
activities in the Town Center. Flowers, etc.

Our furniture man got evicted for something
that should not have happened & he was
successful here for many many years.

The book store got put out - for what???
It was alive and hopping - maybe no money -
but a fun place that we all loved - ALL LOVED.

My customers say we have charm/history,
cute out of the way shangrila - mural up the
windows, plants loads of flowers, have lots
of functions - MAKE THE PLACE ALIVE -
LIKE WE EXIST.

CANT ANYBODY HEAR?  It is still going to
take time to figure out how to get Jemel
moving BUT UNTIL THEN - PUT UP THE
MURALS, PLANT ALL THOSE FLOWERS
& MAINTAIN THEM - MAKE TOWN CENTER
LOOK LIKE WE ARE ALIVE & CARE. KEEP