[RP TownTalk] Vacant Bldgs/Town Center etc.

Lou King lking at knob.com
Tue Sep 11 22:51:46 UTC 2007

Sometime ago someone suggested that I go down to the "Gateway" to
Riverdale and see what is going on.  Well I did. It has been a while
sense I have headed towards DC on Rt 1.

I see that Hyattsville is moving along on getting their revitalization
underway. I think the old Listeen (sp) showroom will be a neat old
building along Rt 1.  It sure stands out now! A cross the street is what
looks like the construction stagging area and then we get to Riverdale.
Don't know which side of the city line the old Binning Dodge dealer was
on but it is obvious where the construction will stop and where
Riverdale starts.

For those that want a "Jay's gas station":  That would make 3 gas
stations on Rt1 between Cleveland Ave and Queensbury Rd. There would be
"Jay's" on the east side of Rt 1, one on the west next to the 7-11(is it
open?) and again on the east side, the EXXON at Queensbury. I'm not sure
I vote for that.  Not to be a snob, but gas stations do seem to be in an
identifiable economic area in most towns.  There are exceptions but the
ones I have seen seems to be larger with landscaping and well maintained.

Those that think "low rent" is the way to go for  town center should
look at Riverdale Rt 1 between Cleveland and Oliver or Riverdale Rd.
Now here is a section of town that doesn't want for foot/drive by
traffic.  As trashy as the 7-11 and that gas station look, the 7-11
parking lot is full. Its on the wrong side of Rt 1 for afternoon
traffic.  Don't know how the Sub shop has stayed open, no more people
there this afternoon than I ever remember seeing.  As for the section
between Oglethorpe and Cleveland well there you are.  I don't think that
is "our" general vision for Town Center which could look the same Minus
the traffic.

Speaking of traffic have I not been listening when people on Cleveland
Ave complain about cut through traffic?  I was sitting at that traffic
light waiting to get back on Rt 1.  I though I was going to get hit
(sure got glared at) by people turning off of Rt 1, around me and
heading up Cleveland Ave.

Moving up (north) to Rt 1 and 410.  I think it is safe to say that
Roland and I see what has happened here differently.  In part my view
(memory) may be clouded by what I wanted in my backyard.  As an example
I seem to remember Gearld K. with his ruler out measuring parking spaces
around the bank building.  Lots of discussion about shared use of
parking behind the Rt 1 "strip" and how much of the park was going to be
given away to get the required number of spots.  Yes, I may have sounded
a bit like Bruce at that point. Not really but leaning closer to
'anything' is better than nothing.

At that time, others quoted the saw about 'the good being the enemy of
the best.'  Maybe that applies now also to the Gateway lot on Rt 1, and
in Town Center.

It also seems to me that the part of town that is about to change is Rt
1 north of Cleveland Ave.  If, no when Hyattsville fills Rt1 with
$300K-$500K townhouses they are not coming north to Riverdale for whats
there now! Lets not fight the trend. Now if someone can figure out how
to get then to come up Cleveland to Town Center... Considering what
their payments will be maybe those folks from Hyattsville will be able
to use a Pawn Shop or a check cashing scam (just joking really).

lou