[RP TownTalk] Town Center of Dreams and Possibilities

Edwin Roth rotheroa at verizon.net
Wed Sep 12 01:48:55 UTC 2007

Hi everyone,

My name is Carla, and we are relatively ( 3 yrs) new residents to this
great community.  I have been in the back ground reading this and other
discussions on the state of the town center re-development .   I am
extremely grateful for all the hard work everyone in the community has
done regarding this issue.

While this might seem like a overly simplistic remedy, to a vastly
complex issue, I do agree with Emily that perhaps doing something to
the facades of the vacant buildings, might aid in the redevelopment of
the area.

Years ago, the 9th & G areas of Washington DC, were home to many
artists and artist hang outs- like DC Space, the WPA, 9:30 club,
various artist lofts.  I think this artistic atmosphere added greatly
to its selling potential in the end.  I have seen much the same in
other neighborhoods in Seattle.  Neighborhoods like Belltown or Ballard
in Seattle, were havens for artists and by showing art and involving
community, changed the environment entirely.

Like the staging of a house, to up the selling potential, perhaps it
could be the same for Riverdale Town center.   Perhaps Jemal Douglas
would be interested in promoting artists and improving the look of the
area, by supporting such a program.   If anything, it might boost
morale and provide another forum for the community to gather and
discuss its issues.

I will bring this idea up with the representative  in my ward, asking
him some questions on this issue, and if this can be a possibility
given the current state of affairs.
But in the mean time, I have posted two brief statements and the links
of two organizations, that both have programs to put art in vacant
buildings windows.

Boston Art Windows (BAW)   is a joint project of Mayor Thomas M.
Menino, the City of Boston, the Boston Redevelopment Authority (BRA),
local artists, and property and business owners.
This project is an effort to display cutting-edge art installations in
the windows of commercial property in downtown Boston, and aims to
increase the diversity and vitality of this important part of the city.

http://www.cityofboston.gov/bra/baw/about.html

As part of the revitalization efforts in Downtown Baltimore, a program
has been initiated to display local artists' original artwork in the
street-level windows of vacant buildings and in the lobbies of selected
office buildings. The program, called Baltimore Exposure, is being
facilitated by a local curator and by the Downtown Partnership of
Baltimore (DPOB) which is a non-profit, area improvement corporation.
The local BOMA (the Building Owners and Managers Association) is
lending support through publicity and donations of manual help. The
program is made financially possible by grants from the Mayor's
Advisory Committee on Art and Culture and the Maryland State Arts
Council. There will be an opening reception, July 6, 2000, to coincide
with the Downtown Spring Festival and the work will remain on display
until sold or until building development plans change.

http://www.tfaoi.com/articles/anne/ae8.htm

Thanks,
Carla Figueroa