[RP TownTalk] Town Center of Dreams

Alan K. Thompson twacks at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 02:45:12 UTC 2007

Dear Marc,

You've presented an interesting "modest" proposal.  Back when the Town
briefly owned much of town center, there was a _little_ bit of talk
about having the Town oversee rehab and development (including getting
businesses in).  The town government at that time thought that an
experienced developer would do a better job (and I can't fault them
for that -- Jemal sounded really good, and it seemed that development
would happen quickly and be high quality). I still hope that we will
get good quality development there, but my current hopes are pinned on
the economic opportunity of EYA and MSquare making it worth the while
of businesses to pay the rent; that won't be happening for at least a
few years.

I'd also like to present a different perspective on a few things you
said about the MUTC zoning (excerpted from your letter are below).  I
worked extensively on the writing of the MUTC guidelines, and
economics *were* considered -- mainly through input from local
business owners about what they needed to be able to meet the
architectural guidelines.  We (the business owners were involved in
the process too) did our best to meet those needs in the guidelines.
I don't think we could have done better without a lot more resources
(or a crystal ball).

Secondly, the Town does have a lot of influence and ability to get the
sort of developments it wants - it just has to stand firm and insist
on them.  This will mean saying no to developments that don't meet the
zoning guidelines, and the needs of the town _beyond_ the zoning
guidelines (when the special permit process starts, the zoning
guidelines are only one thing the council should consider).
Hyattsville said no to a lot of proposals before EYA came through, we
need to encourage and support our council in doing the same if we want
to get the sort of development we want.

Warm regards,

Alan