[RP TownTalk] Cafritz update

Arletta Gustafson arlettag at comcast.net
Sat Sep 15 21:17:25 UTC 2007

Dwight,

I have to agree with your observations.  It certainly did seem that the
majority of those negative comments were voiced by those in surrounding
communities.  I plan on attending Tuesday's meeting as well, so that I can
hear as much as possible about the concerns and the supportive comments
also.  Since I am new to the town, this was my first exposure to the
project.  I found it to be very promising.

Being a tree-huggin' hippie from Seattle I was pleased with the amount of
attention that seems to have been directed to making it as "green" as
possible.

I noted that there will be room in the NE corner for "community space", I
would like to see some space made on Main Street for some sort of community
center.  My hometown (county had 125,000) put the county children's museum
in it's historic downtown district and it was a rousing success.  The museum
worked a win-win rental deal with the property owner and I just read that it
has actually become so popular that they are having to move.  While this may
not be a great fit for this project, I think it would be wonderful to have a
place for the people of the neighborhood to have meetings or such.  It would
also be a place for youth groups like *ahem* 4-H and Boys and Girls Club (I
hear their building needs some work) and others could meet.  Matt (I think
that was his name) said that a good deal of Sr. housing is planned.  This
building would also be a good place for those seniors to gather.

I may be way off base here, it HAS been know to happen, but it's my small
town experience trying to rear its ugly head in the big city.

Comments, please be gentle.  :-)

Arletta

  _____