[RP TownTalk] arts question

Alice Ewen Walker alice at ewenwalker.com
Tue Sep 18 01:45:33 UTC 2007

Though a belated response to Carla's post, thought I'd share the link
for the Gateway Arts District, which is a zoning strategy that aims to
attract and support artists to spur economic revitalization.

http://gateway-cdc.org/Gtwy_Arts_Dist.html

This district is the largest one in the state in terms of physical
size of the area. It allows for more flexibility in zoning for things
like a mix of uses, live-work units, artist studios, etc. For
instance, EYA's new development incorporates live-work units, which is
enabled by the zoning.

The Cafritz family has also expressed interest in there being an arts
component to anything developed on their parcel. Their foundation is a
major arts funder in the region.

We've talked about lots of strategies for animating town center.
Things like the farmer's market and the holiday markets help bring
life and vitality to the area. Arts displays would also add to this.
If there were a committee of volunteers to move this arts item
forward, it would be great - I'm sure the town would be supportive,
and might be able to find some seed funds. We just don't have enough
staff internally to program something like this without volunteer
help. If anyone wants to take the lead in organizing/spearheading,
shoot me an email.

Alice

--
Alice Ewen Walker