[RP TownTalk] Chickens theories

Sue Collins wheadle at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 26 10:44:40 UTC 2007

I found 2 dead chickens by the railroad tracks in
August (police were notified).  Has anyone else found
them this year and, if so, where?  Last year it seemed
to be mostly at crossroads in town.  Personally I lean
towards a "voodoo" or Santaria theory as to why we're
finding dead chickens.  The 2 that I found in August
were each wrapped in clear 7/11 bags, and in each of
the bags, in addition to the chickens, there were
several pieces of wrapped candy!  If these were
fighting chickens and the people were just disposing
of them, I can't imagine why they'd go to the trouble
to wrap them up and put candy in the bags.  Unless the
chickens had won or lost fights and the candies were
just "offerings" of some sort?  From what little I've
read about voodoo, offerings left at or buried at
crossroads are supposedly very powerful.  As other
posters have said, whether it's voodoo, cockfighting,
or a combination of the 2, it's rather nasty.
However, if we're truly going to learn about and
understand other cultures, we have to include
everything, not just the "sweet and nice."  (and I
must admit, the whole "chicken thing" IS rather fascinating)