[RP TownTalk] Chickens theories

Marc Molino mmolino54 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 26 16:21:44 UTC 2007

I found this article online which describes a suburb in Florida where similar types of chicken reamains were found on or near their train tracks. The chicken represents evil spirits which are killed and taken away by the train. Could still be cockfighting, but knowing it was illegal, why would someone invite such attention?

http://www.informationliberation.com/?id=9340

-Marc Molino

Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 11:37:37 -0400From: dwightrholmes at gmail.comTo: towntalk at riverdale-park.orgSubject: Re: [RP TownTalk] Chickens theoriesBruce, while the article surely describes the enduring presence of cockfighting in the U.S. and worldwide, I'm not sure how it negates the possibility of voodoun practices here in our community.  This entire area is now home to people from all over the globe -- look at the number of W. African churches within just a few miles of RP.  As Sue (i think) pointed out, there is a shop in Langley Park that caters to the voodoun believers.  Certainly there's a large Caribbean population here as well.  Heck, there's even quite a few displaced New Orleanians here as well, post-Katrina.  Despite the best efforts of Homeland Security or whoever else would try to bar the entry of all their beliefs and practices from their own homeland (tongue in cheek) i doubt that it's working.  I, for one, have no idea if this is cockfighting or religious practices that is resulting in dead chickens on our RxR tracks (though I am swayed by Sue's argument -- why waste the candy if it's just waste product from a cockfight?), but I see no reason to dismiss the possibility of either one, until we get further evidence, or help from someone with better knowledge of these things. Parenthetically, I wonder if our local Railfans have ever witnessed the disposal of these giftbags while hanging out at the train station?