[RP TownTalk] Tonight's News.

Roland Walker walker at pobox.com
Thu Sep 27 03:06:11 UTC 2007

[sarah wrote]
> * Recently a friend needed ambulance service to take him to the
> hospital (he is terminally ill.) The EMTs were making *jokes* about
> his physical condition (which was quite dire) right in front of him,
> as if he couldn't hear them, or perhaps didn't have feelings

I was the one who made the 911 call to which Sarah refers.  The
terminally ill patient was former councilman Gerard Kiernan, who,
because of physical weakness, was trapped in his apartment.  The
rescue team snickered at, and openly mocked, Mr Kiernan's girth, among
other comments and actions too lewd and distasteful to repeat here.

I was floored.  The way they treated a weak and dying man was beyond
unprofessional, and beyond disrespectful -- it was simply cruel and I
would also say bizarre.

Some people will be offended because they support the firemen, but I
saw all of this terrible behavior with my own eyes.  After seeing
that, I could never be swayed from the opinion that the firehouse
should simply be shut down.  I believe that anyone who had been in the
room with me would share that opinion.

PS I can speak only for myself, not for Councilwoman Walker.