[RP TownTalk] Tonight's News.

Roland Walker walker at pobox.com
Thu Sep 27 13:06:10 UTC 2007

> Is the phase out to be relied on or is it just another plan?
>
> And what will it be replaced by?

I guess the answers are buried in all the detail below.  Since the
county has already spent $350,000 on the consolidation project I would
say it is not just another a plan.

As to what the replacement is -- if you mean what replaces the
firehouse -- two firehouses will be consolidated together.  Our
firehouse will be consolidated into a larger firehouse in Riverdale
Heights, on Roanoke Ave.

Some members of the firehouse have indicated that they will "dig in"
and "never leave".  I don't know how that's supposed to work, though I
do see those comments as overdramatic and typically unprofessional.

Currently the town rents the building to the Riverdale Fire Department
for $1/year, and gives them a grant of $10,000/year.  They are not a
part of the town government.

Certainly we are under no obligation to continue those subsidies once
the consolidated firehouse is in place.  I even question why we
subsidize them currently, as the great majority of their calls are for
mutual aid in other communities, not for service within Riverdale
Park.