[RP TownTalk] firehouse behaviour

Arletta Gustafson arlettag at comcast.net
Fri Sep 28 01:29:07 UTC 2007

I have to say that I also was glad to see Nancy's response.  Three of my 4
brothers are volunteer firefighters back on the west coast.  They get paid
$10 per call.  Growing up all 4 of them were in the county search and rescue
program.  They work hard and put their lives out there for total strangers.

However, being in a stressful position like that, they do need to vent and
often do it through what some would see as inappropriate humor.  They don't
do it in front of the patient/client/victim (whatever term you wish to use)
but when they are away from the public eye they do release it that way.  My
dad, a retired cop, is the same way.  Because of the stress in all of our
jobs (I dispatched and my mom investigated forest fires)we have a rather
dark sense of humor.  I was not appalled at the "jokes" that were made.  I
was appalled that they were made in front of Mr. Kiernan.

Perhaps the training for these guys and gals should include appropriate
stress relieving techniques.  When to vent and when not to.

Just an iside point of view.

Have a nice night all!

Arletta