[RP TownTalk] Human Pylons

cranky old coot lking at knob.com
Sun Sep 30 15:40:36 UTC 2007

Along the 2 miles between Hyattsville (Baltimore Ave) and Paint Branch
Pkwy in Collage Park there are only 2 roads that cross the CSX tracks.
Until that changes the traffic on East-West Hwy and Queensbury
Rd/Riverdale Ave will not get better.

It does not take a traffic engineer to look at the traffic on 410 and
realize that the road is running at capacity (east or west depending on
the time of day). That is why there is spill over onto Queensbury and
Riverdale.

North-South is not much better. Rout #1 is at capacity and spilling into
town on Cleveland and Lafayette. That can't be fixed without changing
the city scape along Rt 1 from North Brentwood, through Hyattsville,
Riverdale Park and Collage Park to 495. The choke point at Rt1 and 410
is in the "plans".  Rob do I remember this being in someone's 10 year plan?

Making the roads leading up to the choke point in Town Center (CSX
tracks) one way, doesn't get cars across the tracks any faster or reduce
the volume in our residential areas. From what I have been reading
relating to the one-way block in front of the firehouse, I would guess
that this suggestion would @#$ off every one that lives between 410 and
Riverdale Ave, from Rt 1 to Kenilworth.

JMHO  Lou King