[RP TownTalk] 8/4/08, 8pm, town hall: Presentation to Riverdale Park Police by Maryland Dog Federation

euniverz at aol.com euniverz at aol.com
Mon Aug 4 16:30:56 UTC 2008

FYI

-----Original Message-----
From: Euniverz at aol.com
To: mhooker at gazette.net; princegeorges at gazette.net; editor at gazette.net; editor at headlines.thedogpress.com; EOlson at co.pg.md.us; pgextra at washpost.com
Sent: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 7:13 am
Subject: MEDIA RELEASE: 8/4: Capture Devices to be Presented to Riverdale Park Police

A few weeks ago a family dog was followed for blocks and shot by Riverdale Park police when cornered in a yard.? A few days ago two family dogs were shot to death by the Prince George's Sheriff's department in their own home.? A few months ago, the family dog was shot to death by the Prince George's Police Department in a raid -- at the wrong address.

?

The Maryland Dog Federation is very concerned about the hundreds of dog shootings in the county and in the surrounding areas.? Many of these can be avoided?with the proper training and equipment.? The MDF will be presenting two animal catch poles, the kind used by animal control, to Riverdale Park Police?Chief Theresa Chambers tonight, Monday, August 4th, at the monthly legislative meeting at Riverdale Park town hall beginning at 8pm.

?

MDF president, Adrianne Lefkowitz, would remind all officers and police department heads, "with 40% of the country's homes owning at least one dog, I hope all our county's law enforcement departments can find a way to handle animal issues without defaulting to lethal force.? There are many occasions in which non-lethal methods can and should?be employed."?