[RP TownTalk] trash "cans"

Robert Oppenheim Rob.Oppenheim at comcast.net
Thu Aug 7 21:39:37 UTC 2008

      *There is hope of getting smaller trash toters...*

I went to the town meeting Monday (8/4/08) and asked about
getting smaller trash toters. I spoke both privately to the department
head and publicly to the council. Mary Donaldson also spoke about
the problem. I did not get a positive response. But there is still hope...

Today (Thr 8/7), I called Bates and asked about smaller totes.
*They do have smaller ones.  *He will check with his superiors
and get back to me. I will let you know what happens.

Certainly some people can make good use of the giant 96-gallon
size, but many of us would be better served with a smaller 64-
gallon size (which is the size of the recycle bin toter).

Having a choice would be best. *If you would prefer a smaller toter,
I urge you to let the mayor and your council member know.
Also let CM Lingua know as he is chair of Public Works.
*It can be done. It may take some political will.

*Use Our Old Cans? *
I may keep using my old trash can (which also has wheels) but
it helps the collection if we all use toters with uniform handling
characteristics with attached lids that cannot blow away and
with toters that are designed to work with the truck's lifts.

*My Specific Problems with the Giant Toter are...*

They are difficult to clean. I can't reach the bottom of the
huge toter to remove a bag of trash that was left stuck in my
toter this week. I thought about trying to turn it over and
spraying it with a hose, but the toter is bigger than I want to
wrestle. Sooner or later this will be a problem for everyone.

It is too big to get around our van in the driveway. And leaving
it in front is both illegal and ugly.

Finally, a smaller one would just plain be easier to haul to the
curb. I feel for those who must get them up and down stairs!

It is a little disappointing that this was not thought out better.
Its not like this has not  happened before. When the recycle
toters were distributed, some people voiced a concern that
they were too big, and Hyattsville had to swap out many of
their giant toters for smaller ones when they issued toters a
year or two ago. Unfortunately we did not learn from these
experiences. But hopefully, it will be set right soon.

So far, I have been pleased with the Bates service and applaud
the mayor and council for trying it. If we can get the tote size
right, then I think I will be very happy with the new trash service.

-Rob

[end]