[RP TownTalk] Presentation by Maryland Dog Fed to Riverdale Pk PD

Euniverz at aol.com Euniverz at aol.com
Fri Aug 8 03:29:29 UTC 2008

County law:  Rottweilers are legal, "pit bulls" are not ("pit bull" is  a
vernacular, generic term that encompasses well over a half-dozen breeds  and is
only legally defined by statute. Our statute chose three of those breeds  and
any mix thereof).  It costs a lot of money every year and has  done nothing to
increase public safety. As a matter of fact, so much time is  wasted by animal
control officers rounding up benign family pets and killing  them
(approximately two hours each day each officer)  that it has had  the effect of
decreasing public safety.  As a result, ACOs don't have  enough time to spend on dogs
that actually are behaving dangerously.  If  anyone is interested I'd be happy
to discuss the details with you off  list.

If you happen to speak with your neighbor about it, please let him/her know
I can point him/her to some very good behavior and training resources, and I
can  help him/her on some things myself, free of charge.  You can give him/her
my e-mail address.

I have a wonderful program I put together for landlords about how to  deal
with pets without putting them out; what landlords should expect from pet
owners regarding cleanliness and neighborliness.  I'd be happy to share it  with
our landlords who are on this list.  Pets that are "put out" by  the landlord
usually wind up dead at our high-kill county shelter, or  given away to someone
who may not really want her or treat her  badly.  I know landlords are
concerned about safety and  liability.  A good dog is one of the surest ways to
increase safety.  A sure way to reduce safety is to make an owner sneak their dog
around and  be afraid to socialize her and in so doing, possibly create a
non-so-good dog.

Please contact me off-list if you need further assistance.

Deeds, not breeds,

Adrianne Lefkowitz
_euniverz at aol.com_ (mailto:euniverz at aol.com)

48th and Madison