[RP TownTalk] Trash "cans"

Cranky old Coot lking at knob.com
Wed Aug 13 21:30:04 UTC 2008

I would suggest that just a "trash can" may be a matter of opinion. Yes,
it is on wheels but this is like going to the store for a quart of milk
in a Hummer.

Reading the fliers put out by the town and Bates I see that:

"Bulk trash" includes items "that requires more than one employee to
lift (60 pounds)..." The 90 gallon toter I received weighs 40 pounds
empty. As I noted earlier, workers are protected by OSHA and maybe a
union (as they should be) but residences are not. But still all
residences are expected to haul a container that approaches a
one-man-lift to the curb. - Sense I seldom fill my 30 gallon trash can
in a week I think referring to a container three times bigger that I
need as a Hummer not out of line.

Wheels or not, I and other less abled residence must drag 40 pounds of
container PLUS trash to the curb. I find that an unnecessary overhead to
get weekly trash to the curb. In this heat (August in DC) sanity, odor
and health may dictate that a person would want to take the trash to the
curb on both Monday and Thursday. That's 40 pounds of container X 2 to
get two kitchen trash bags to the curb. grumble grumble.

Now if I carefully read/look at the flier I see a way out of this mess.
The picture captioned 'Regular trash collection' shows a trash bag
sitting by the curb. In the background is the toter not being used. This
is a good solution.

However, the picture to the right under the heading 'Bulk Trash' does
conflict with the restriction of 2 items per appointment listed later in
the flier.

Oh well,

COC