[RP TownTalk] Master Peace Community Garden update

Vinnie Bevivino okrastar at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 19:39:16 UTC 2008

Its been too long since we've found our way into your inbox, a product
of us being way too busy using and expanding our garden.  Bounties of
tomatoes, okra, eggplant, basil, beans, and cucumbers are always
pouring out of the garden, and its sometimes hard to slow down and do
simple things like write emails to our supporters.

Some Key Points:
- Save October 18th for our fall festival, and October 19th as a rain
date.  We've planted more than a hundred pumpkin plants back in July
for this, and its looking like it will be a pick-your-own pumpkin
festival.  This is also to commemorate the work that was paid for by
the Rodale Institute's grant (see below for more information)
- Keep coming to the Riverdale Park Farmers Market!  While we're
always proud of what we've harvested, the produce that's available
there from other farmers is wonderful.  Every Thursday from 3 until
7pm next to the MARC train station in Riverdale Park, on Queensbury
Road, two blocks from Rt. 1.
- Keep volunteering!  We rely on volunteers, come over every and any
Saturday from 9 until 2, and we'll put you to work and send you home
with produce.
- Keep visiting!  The garden is always open, there is no lock on our
gates.  Come by if your in the area, and bring a picnic.

Since we've last updated you on our work:
- We've had our second Free Minds Collective summer program. Building
on last year, we've taught 12 middle school students Monday through
Friday in July about nutrition, gardening, and cooking.  They learned
a lot about "seed to plate horticulture", and the politics of food
advertising, and had a lot of fun too!
- From the help of the Rodale Institute's WaterWorks program, we've
had a 1200 gallon rain cistern installed in the garden.  Check out the
photograph, its huge.  Now we're just waiting for rain!  This grant is
also paying for our fence to be expanded, wonderful art to decorate
the fence and cistern, and lots of other great beautification
projects.  We'll have more photos on all this in a few weeks.
- We have built a 17' x 48' high tunnel that we'll be using to extend
our seasons in the spring and fall (see photo).  This was paid for by
a grant from the Sustainable Agriculture Research and Eduction program
of the USDA, and built by the help of some amazing volunteers, both
within Maryland Cooperative Extension and from the neighborhood.
- We've hired Christian Melendez using money from sales at the
Riverdale Park Farmers Market.  Christian has been a huge help this
year, being responsible for almost all aspects of keeping us
productive.  He started interning for us back in February, and is
being paid for throughout the summer.  He's a great personality to
have, he's wonderful with kids, and organizes family potlucks in the
garden for our community gardeners.  He's also very active in student
organizations on campus and helpful in our outreach to new
volunteers.  None of this work could have been possible without him.
- We continued to sell much more produce this year than last year.
This is not only possible from the great help back in the garden, but
also from the help of student volunteer Kristen Mui, a senior
undergraduate Urban Planning major.  She is studying urban agriculture
from a planning standpoint, and helps sell our produce every week.
Another person that enables all this to happen.

Simple ways that you can help:
- Come by and volunteer.
- Tell a friend or neighbor about what we're doing, and tell them to
volunteer.
- Purchase some vegetables from us at the market.

See you soon in the garden!

-Vinnie Bevivino and the staff of the Master Peace Community Garden
6200 Sheridan Street
Riverdale, MD 20737

www.engagedu.umd.edu
301-405-0656

The Master Peace Community Garden is a project of the the University
of Maryland Cooperative Extension's Engaged University and Food Stamp
Nutrition Education Program.  We work to increase access to healthy
food and the knowledge and skills needed to grow healthy food.