[RP TownTalk] New Shagga coffee shop now fully open

Cranky old Coot lking at knob.com
Mon Aug 25 21:20:33 UTC 2008

Robert Oppenheim wrote, On 8/25/2008 3:22 PM:
> Yes, Shagga takes credit cards, with no minimum.
> Rob
Rob,
Just a thought - to help support new small businesses: USES CASH.

Credit card companies charge businesses a fee to process credit cards.
When I had a small business I paid 1.6% of the value of the charge plus
$0.21 for each transaction.  I understand the percentage rate is now 2%
or higher.

For a $2.50 cup of coffee, that's 26 cents {(2.50*0.02) = 0.05 + 0.21}
or 10% of what you pay for the coffee.

Small businesses, restraints in particular, survive on a small margin,
10% is 10%

/Of course/, we all tip. In the case of a owner-operated restraint this
comes out even. Kind of a "/The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away/"
situation. Don't forget, if you put the tip on the card, the card
company gets 2% of that too.

Just the opinion of a Cranky Old Coot

P.S.
Always carry cash for tips.  Having know/talked to wait staff, I under
stand, depending on the manager, somethings that accrue when the tip is
on the card are:

-- Management keeps that 2%
-- Wait staff doesn't get the tip until the end of the week or month. Or
-- Management has to make change at the end of the shift or after
closing when everyone wants to go home.
-- This is difficult if the waitress shares the tip with the bus-boy who
quickly cleans her tables or the hostess who keeps her table full.
-- Wait staff has to keep track of the tips that were charged to make
sure they receive what the customer intended.

Tom Paxton sang a song about this that ended with "Remember your
waitress, because she WILL remember you!"

COC