[RP TownTalk] Important Development News

Kate Kelly kate_kelly at mac.com
Fri Dec 5 17:32:55 UTC 2008

This note was compiled by the good folk at Route 1 Growth.

It is crucial that we all pay close attention: those of us whose lives will abut the Cafritz development during its construction; those of us who might be concerned by what it will mean for the security of our struggling Town Center, for local schools, for public safety, and for traffic, among other quality-of-life issues.
Thanks, Kate and Joe Kelly
Tuckerman Street

Happy Holidays-

We know you are crazed--holiday planning, shopping, extra cooking, parties, concerts--but apparently it is an ideal time for planning and development meetings. Tonight is the kick off of the 5 day Route 1 Charrette process and next Saturday the Cafritz family resurfaces to provide an update

This Cafritz event is preliminary to filing for rezoning of their property in January 2009.

Everything is listed on the Route 1 Growth Events page. Please check the blog for more on Cafritz project and reasons to shop locally. Please forward widely--it is important that many people provide input.

Our area has already put a lot of time and work into creating and redeveloping other commercial districts--do we need more commercial space at the Cafritz property?

US Route 1 Sector Plan Update Charrette
Friday, December 5-Wednesday, December 10
Kick-off Presentation and Charrette Overview Friday, December 5 6:30-8 pm
School of Architecture Auditorium, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742

Hands-on Design Session Saturday, December 6 8:30 am-2 pm
Paint Branch Elementary School, 5101 Pierce Avenue, College Park, MD 20740

Charrette Working Studio: Open House to View Work in Progress Monday, December 8 5:30-7 pm
Parks and Recreation Auditorium, 6600 Kenilworth Avenue, Riverdale, MD 20737

Work in Progress Presentation and Wrap-Up Wednesday, December 10 6:30-9 pm
School of Architecture Auditorium, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742

Charrette Working Studio
Parks and Recreation Auditorium, 6600 Kenilworth Avenue, Riverdale, MD 20737

Open Design Studio Times
Parks and Recreation Auditorium, 6600 Kenilworth Avenue, Riverdale, MD 20737
Sunday, December 7, 1 -5 pm
Monday, December 8 and Tuesday, December 9, 9 am-7 pm
Wednesday, December 10, 9 am-12 pm

Cafritz Property Update
Saturday, December 13, 9 am-11 am
Riverdale Elementary School, 5006 Riverdale Road, Riverdale, MD 20737

--
Concerned about Route 1 area growth?
Visit www.route1growth.com to join the conversation, sign up for email alerts & check the calendar.