[RP TownTalk] does this seem democratic?

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 23:35:50 UTC 2008

Did anyone else catch this in last Monday's Post? I found it quite shocking
and disheartening. We've all heard about the 'super delegate' phenomenon...
According to this (below) when Dems vote on the 12th in the Maryland
Democratic primary, we will be selecting only 46 delegates out of Maryland's
total of 99 that will attend the convention in Denver. So that means we will
NOT be choosing 53 of the delegates -- more than half.

What's with that?? I thought MD was now a non-smoking state!! ;-)

Now it doesn't clearly state that the missing 53 delegates are all "super
delegates" -- and that would be a very high number, since the national total
is something around 800 -- doesn't seem like Maryland should get 1/16 of all
super delegates.  So maybe something else is at work here -- could even be a
typo!

Anybody here know more about this?

*Maryland (link to Washington Post article of 1/28/08)*
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/27/AR2008012702377.html>

   - The polls will be open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Those registered in the
   Democratic and Republican parties can vote in their party's primary. The
   primaries include the presidential and congressional contests and
   nonpartisan school board races.

   - Maryland will send 99 delegates to the Democratic National
   Convention. Of those, 46 will be chosen Feb. 12, and the rest will be chosen
   by the party. A candidate must get more than 15 percent of the vote to
   receive delegates.

   - On the GOP<http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/related/topic/U.S.+Republican+Party?tid=informline>side,
37 delegates will go the convention, of which 24 will be chosen Feb.
   12 and the rest by the party.

I've put this on the Wiki along with a voter registration lookup/info site:
http://rpwiki.wetpaint.com/page/Elections

--
Riverdale Park Community Wiki
http://rpwiki.wetpaint.com/