[RP TownTalk] Schools: was: Opposing New Liquor Store

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 15:48:52 UTC 2008

Sarah, of course it isn't just about salaries. That's just one,
perhaps obvious indicator of the problems and challenges faced by our
schools.  All of the issues you raise are critically important. We
have a mixed system here -- resources, rules, requirements all come
from federal, state, and local governments.  Stir it all up, and this
is what we've got! It can be pretty ugly.

Personally, while I recognize the arguments in favor of the
cost-efficiencies of larger school districts, I think we lose a lot
when the districts are as large as they are here.  Smaller districts
allow for greater direct parental/constituent input in decisions made.
 (On the other hand it tends to exacerbate the resource inequities -
but there are good policy mechanisms for dealing with that.  As with
so many things, political will is key -- and too often, hard to come
by.)